May the blessing of the Divine
Be an especially bright benediction
Upon mothers everywhere
On your blessed day -
On Mother's Day!
Mother's day May 2016 has dawned...may all mothers on this planet be blessed with the love of their children but also with strength and patience to guide and raise. their beloved offspring well.Motherhood is indeed a blessing that comes with much joy but also with the burden of hardships and responsiblity.Every single mother in the history of mankind knows that these moments by far outweigh the happy moments.Much responsibility comes with raising a child.But oh those happy moments......would not trade them for all the gold on the planet.The moment that precious smile appears on your child's face and you feel two little arms around your neck, you are sold.Nothing beats that.Nothing.
Looking around on the Internet,I found a couple of interesting sites on the history of Mother's day.It seems that honouring Mothers is a practice almost as ancient as time itself.Ancient Greeks honored Rhea,the wife of Cronus.The Romans honored Cybele,a mother goddess.All over the globe there are days on which people choose to gift their mothers a little something as a token of their appreciation.It was not until 1872 that the idea of official celebration of Mothers day in US was first suggested by Julia Ward Howe.Originally it was to be dedicated to peace, to be celebrated on June 2nd but eventually it was officially established that the second Sunday of May would be the official day of celebration of Mother's Day.
On a more personal note,I would like to point out -and I know many will agree-that mothers should be honoured and celebrated daily,not only on the designated second Sunday in May.A mother's efforts and love are never-ceasing and unending.Too much commercialisation has made this very beautiful celebration a trader's fest.Florists,card makers,gift sellers look to this day to make huge profits,which of course is totally out of sync with the general spirit of the day.So, it is everyone's business to remember our mothers daily.Honor them for everything that they have done to raise us into adults.It becomes evident to me now that I have a daughter of my own.It is a daily,bittersweet task but like every mother before me,I would not exchange it for anything in the world.And,on a more humorous note,I find myself reiterating all those"momisms"my own aunt would use when raising me.I found a few good ones.I know you'll resonate with a lot of them.
- Money does not grow on trees.
- Don't make that face or it'll freeze in that position.
- If I talked to my mother like you talk to me....
- Always change your underwear; you never know when you'll have an accident.
- Be careful or you'll put your eye out.
- What if everyone jumped off a cliff? Would you do it, too?
- You have enough dirt behind those ears to grow potatoes!
- Close that door! Were you born in a barn?
- If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.
- Don't put that in your mouth; you don't know where it's been!
- Be careful what you wish for, it might come true.
- Don't eat those, they will stunt your growth.
- If you don't eat those, you will stunt your growth.
- What's meant to be, is meant to be. (Mom only used this when something bad happened or when you experienced a disappointment.)
- It doesn't matter what you accomplish, I'll always be proud of you.
- I hope that when you grow up, you have kids "Just Like you"! (Also known as the "Mother's Curse")
- Because I'm your mother that's why.
- This is why we can't have nice things.
- If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times.
- Eat your vegetables, those children in China (Africa, Vietnam) would be happy to have some broccoli to eat!
- If you fall out of that tree and break you leg , don't come running to me.
- "Cheer up, the worst is yet to come." Usually said in advance of grounding.
- Someday your face is going to stick like that.
- Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
- Yes, I *AM* the boss of you.
- BecauseI said so.
- Just wait till your father gets home.
- I brought you into this world and I can take you OUT !!
- (Mostly said after one of us 5 had done something really bad.)
- I've got eyes in the back of my head, that's how
- Get that thing out of your mouth! (or nose)
- Just you wait until you have kids of your own - then you'll understand
- You tell that bully to cut it out or you'll tell the teacher...
- I slave for hours over a hot stove and this is the thanks I get?!
- Honestly... You'd lose your head if it wasn't screwed on!
- Honestly, that cardigan looks great on you - the girls had better watch out with you around!
- Bored! How can you be bored? I was never bored at your age.
- Who'll end up walking, bathing and feeding it...?
I would like to make one final statement.It is after all a very beautiful Sunday and we all have to make our mothers a tiny bit(or a lot) happier today.I believe rather firmly that all women,regardless of the fact that they have chosen not to have children,have this need to nurture,to create,to love deeply.The mother instinct is still there,it just finds outlet elsewhere.For example,they focus on their career and excel at that,like Oprah Winfrey,Jennifer Aniston,Elisabeth Gilbert or Coco Chanel.Many women decided that they would be much happier being aunts to their siblings' children or many feel strongly that there are so many orphaned children nowadays that having children feels morally wrong to them.They strongly support adoption and charity.Whatever path a woman chooses to take on this issue is strictly personal and should not be another reason to be discriminated against.Yes,motherhood is sacred,it is a privilege for every woman.But it is as sacred to choose to completely bypass this choice.No woman should be judged on whether she chooses to have children or not.It doesn't make her less of a woman or weird.It is a matter of choice and cannot be doubted or prevailed upon.It is personal and is worthy of our respect.End of story.
Anyway,enough said.Enjoy your Sunday.It is a glorious day.Go out and make your mothers happy.Not just today.Not only with gifts.But daily.With your deeds.With your presence.With a smile and a hug.Those moments are diamonds in time and your mother will carry them with her forever,cherish them and take them out tenderly whenever you can't be there with her to remind her of you.All we have is moments of happiness.Create lots of them today!
With love and light,
P.S.Just thought you might be interested in the links below.Lots of funny and useful information.....